Personal Development: 1st Part
This is the first part of a four-part series on personal development. This is geared towards entrepreneurs.
Do you feel frustrated in building your business and sometimes you feel you just can’t figure out what the problem is? I know what you mean, I’ve definitely been in your shoes.
I knew I wanted to start an online business while still in my 9 to 5 job. However, I didn’t even know where to start. I spent many days, weeks and months with the idea. Until I finally made a DECISION to make my dream a reality nothing changed.
- I wasn’t fulfilled in my job and felt completely misaligned to what I knew I was supposed to be doing.
- Deep within myself I knew I was supposed to be an entrepreneur. I just had to figure out how to make it happen.
- When you want something bad enough, you’ll find a way to make it happen.
- I had to have a mindset shift.
- I couldn’t only think like an employee, I had to start thinking like an entrepreneur.
This is what personal development is all about. MINDSET SHIFTS.
Personal development is a path that you can take to shift your life.
Making Conscious Decision
- Essentially, personal development is about making conscious decisions about everything that you do, the way that you think, and the way that you react to situations. Personal development can help you obtain everything that you always dreamed of, and more, with the simple application of a few simple mindset shifts.
- One of the biggest steps toward personal development is a change of mindset. If you think that you can do better, you will. If you think that you are stuck in a dead end job, without any plans to leave, you’ll ultimately be very unhappy.
- When you change your mindset to positive thinking, you’ll find that you put forth more effort into everything that you do, and you will have much better results.
Build Attainable Goals
- Another one of the important steps toward personal development is to set obtainable goals in building your business. This is not to say that your goals aren’t obtainable. But if you constantly think about the goal of being a millionaire within a week of leaving your job, you’ll feel pretty frustrated as that goal seems so far out of reach. Setting obtainable goals simply mean that you set milestone goals that lead to the ultimate goal.
- It’s really about taking small steps. When you decide that you need food in your refrigerator, it doesn’t automatically appear, right. You must make a grocery list, go to the grocery store, shop for items, purchase them, bring them home, and put them in the fridge. Obtaining a large goal is much the same way. You will not get there overnight. It takes going through a series of steps, or smaller goals, to find your way.
- Smaller goals also help you to see the bigger picture. Instead of thinking that you’re never going to reach your final goal, you’ll see the progress that you’re making as you complete each smaller, more obtainable goal. This will give you a sense of accomplishment, as well as help you to change your thinking to a more positive mindset.
For some, personal development is also a matter of moving beyond past failures and misfortune to see what is possible for you in the future. Often the negative comments made by friends and family over a lifetime can be difficult to overcome. Past failures, or just the feeling that one is a failure, are another major obstacle. There are ways to move beyond these obstacles.
Remember this: When someone tells you it can’t be done, it’s more a reflection of their limitations, not yours.
What is personal development to you? Let me know in the comments below.
FREE Digital Marketing Strategy Guide
Get your copy Now. You'll also get our latest content by email.